Rice Cereal - Surely there has to be something tastier than rice cereal

Monday 16 July 2001
Mummy is still trying to force me to take a bottle and I am still refusing. Added to which I am being abysmal at nights. Mummy thought all these problems warranted a trip to the clinic sister so off we went. As I predicted it was no use, the clinic sister said that mummy cannot force me to take a bottle she can just offer it to me and if I take it well and good but if I don’t then I don’t! She also said that she knows no tricks for getting me to sleep longer so mum must just continue to get up all night. I saw mummy’s face go pale at the thought but she put up a brave front.

Tuesday 17 July 2001
What a great day. I spent all day “babysitting” my cousins. They came over to my house in the morning and we watched mummy and daddy’s wedding video and looked at photos of when my cousins were babies. Actually I slept through all these activities but if I were awake I would have joined in. After the video, when I woke up, we went out and I slept again. I could hear mum secretly wishing that this sleeping behaviour would carry through to the night time.

When we got home N came with us and her and mum did a concert for me. It was very groovy but it may account for the fact that I did not sleep at all well during the night. Every hour I woke grumbling and complaining (they do not hold a tune very well).

Wednesday 18 July 2001
I tasted food off a spoon today!!! Mummy has decided that I am very hungry. I am feeding off her furiously and she is worried that I am still hungry so today she got it into her head that I needed to start solids. We bought rice cereal and a brand new spoon and everything and while I would not say that I ate a spoonful or anywhere close to it, a millilitre or so of rice cereal happened into my mouth and I may or may not have swallowed it.

Daddy was a bit concerned that we had not okayed this introduction of solids with Dr C so I think that it has come to a crashing halt until we check with him but I think I kind of like the idea of eating real food.

Thursday 19 July 2001
I took the teeniest, tiniest sip from my bottle today. I don’t think it is as big a deal as mummy would have you think but there you are! It is not like I am thinking of doing it again in a hurry.

Friday 20 July 2001
Fridays are days that we usually spend shopping and preparing dinner but today mummy took a few shortcuts and instead of all that boring shopping and cooking we got to play with Rene and even to go to Karen’s house to wish her happy birthday! We still got dinner together and again my whole family ate a lovely Shabbas dinner while I slept soundly in my cot.

I heard mummy say that she is feeling a bit haggard because all I want to do is eat. She is really difficult – first she complains that I don’t eat and then she complains that I eat too much! Because she was so frustrated about my hunger I got to eat off a spoon again. I am really much better with that than with the bottle and daddy has now agreed that it is okay because my uncle says that it is okay (and he is a doctor). Just wait till we tell Dr C! Anyway I am quite good at this spoon thing although I am really not swallowing much more than a millilitre or so. I know that all the books say that it is a myth but I am also sleeping a bit better since mummy has been feeding me solids so now I wake up after 4 hours at night until 3am and then I still wake up every hour.

Saturday 21 July 2001
I escaped the Saturdays today (well almost all day). I was in a much better mood than I generally am on a Saturday and I impressed my dad so much he could not stop raving about me.

We went shopping and when I was not sleeping in my pram I sat upright in it like a real little boy. This was the first time that mum had been game enough to seat me like this and I had such fun. I could watch the whole world go by and I loved it.

After shopping we went to friends for tea, I think that my parents were kidding making me have such a long day. The drive to the friends was fraught with tears and screaming but that was nothing compared to the drive home from them. After a very nice tea and a long snooze in mum’s arms we drove home from North Bondi and I screamed the entire way home. I screamed so much that I vomited and even as I write this I have ringing in my ears from the noise that I made!!! I don’t think my parents will be game to keep me out the whole day ever again – well at least not until I’m 18.

I ate my rice cereal very well which ensured that I had a reasonable sleep and so I think my parents will continue to feed me solids. Yummmm.

Sunday 22 July 2001
Daddy had to go to a conference today so mum and I spent the day together again. The weather was rainy and miserable and so after one short trip to the shops we stayed indoors near the heater. Granny came for lunch and I tried to show her how I eat my solids but I was really not feeling that hungry for them.

In the night, after my bath, granny phoned to tell us some terrible news. Her mother, my great grandmother had died. Mummy wrapped me up very warmly and I had my first real night time outing. We went to granny’s house to try and comfort her and make her feel better. She was very sad but I do think that I managed to perk her up a tiny bit. I slept in mum’s arms after my attempt at cheering her up and we went home about an hour later. Even though I went to bed so much later I still woke up at exactly the same times in the night. Uncanny really how I can’t get to sleep through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment